Coordinated, long-range transportation planning is critical for the region to grow and evolve in a way that addresses local needs and priorities. All Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) are required to maintain a regional long-range transportation plan and the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) serves as this plan for the Memphis MPO. To meet Federal regulations, the RTP must:
- Be updated every four years;
- Provide a minimum 20-year plan horizon;
- Identify long-range transportation goals and specific long- and short-range investment strategies across all modes of transportation to support meeting those goals;
- Support regional land use and economic development policies and plans;
- Demonstrate fiscal constraint for all funded projects;
- Demonstrate air quality conformity; and
- Reflect a broad set of public and stakeholder input.
Current RTP: Livability 2050
Livability 2050 is the Memphis MPO's current RTP. It was adopted by the Memphis MPO's Transportation Policy Board (TPB) on September 12, 2019. The Livability 2050 RTP will remain the current RTP until the updated plan, Moving Together: 2050 RTP is adopted in 2023. Visit the Livability: 2050 RTP webpage at the link below to view the current 2050 Regional Transportation Plan and supporting information.
RTP Update: Moving Together
The Memphis MPO has started working on the update to its RTP called Moving Together: 2050 Regional Transportation Plan. For more information and to follow the planning process, click on the image below to visit the project webpage.